Wednesday, May 02, 2012

This is an assignment for  a class I am taking in graduate school.  NO it is not an art class or a sewing class it is a course in nursing. We were assigned to do an aesthetic project based on a caring situation in our nursing practice.  This is based on a patient I had many years ago who was told she could never be a nurse because of her injuries. I spoke to her at length about not accepting that diagnosis and to create her own future.  Other nurses followed suit and a few years later, I was the speaker at her nursing pinning ceremony quite serendipitously!  She became a critical care nurse and her injuries were not an issue.  The piece is called Hope Rising and is based on the Emily Dickinson poem,  Hope is the Thing with Feathers.

9 comments:

Linda Smith said...

That is so cool Willa. How big is it?

Unknown said...

Willa, this is so beautiful and inspirational. Hope changes lives and you have captured it! Those butterflies are amazing!

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Story and your illustration both beautiful

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

I love the story and your illustration for he class beautiful.bet you are a great nurse too. I love those nurses! My daughter is one

gocrazywithme said...

Great story, Willa! I love a happy ending, or a new beginning, as it usually turns out to be.
I also collect the CQ cheater fabrics. I have one from 1875 that is my treasure!

Carol in Clermont said...

Lovely story, lovely piece. BTW..save your money...don't bother with the lottery. Woody has been doing this for years!!

Debbie S. said...

Beautiful project you made. It's so great you encouraged the lady to continue her dream, it seems there are many out there that encourage people to give up. Great job on going back to grad school too!

Yvonne said...

That's really beautiful, Willa

Unknown said...

Willa, So beautiful, your work, your story and YOU!
Daphne in Orange
was
Daphne in Surf City

I really don't use my Google account for much. I use pieceful_daphne (at) yahoo